Thursday, March 29, 2012

Switching gears

As I am sure you have read there has been a bit of a reconfiguring of things at the paper. The end result is I will no longer be covering the Yale football team and will add UConn football to my UConn women's basketball responsibilities.

It is a move that had been in the works for several months but did not become official until Mar. 22, which happened to be the date of the Yale pro day. When I headed over to Yale I knew it was close to being a done deal but thought there was a chance that the change in beats may not take place until the end of the spring practice. When I returned to the office to work on my story on the pro day I was informed that the Yale portion of the equation would take place immediately. It makes sense because I was in Chicago yesterday to cover the McDonald's All-American games instead of being at Yale for the first day of spring drills. Right now I am in a hotel room in Denver getting ready to cover the women's Division I Final Four. If UConn gets to the championship game I would not be returning until April 4 so I would have needed somebody to fill in for me regardless. This will give Chris Hunn, who has taken over the Yale beat, a chance to get his foot in the door and get to know the coaches and players.

I'd like to thank the readers of this blog for their passion and of course readership. The numbers of this blog have increased significantly in the last four years and I have you to thank for that. I've enjoyed the experience of covering Yale in both stints as I did this for a few years in the late 1990s before returning to the beat in 2008. I've been treated well by all the head coaches (Jack Siedlecki, Tom Williams and Tony Reno) and the players as well. While I am excited about a new challenge in covering the UConn football team, I will miss being involved with the day to day coverage of Yale football.

Obviously when there is a switch in beat writers the coverage will be different since no two people handle a beat the same way but Chris has done a great job covering the New Haven football program in recent years and I know he will do an outstanding job on the Yale beat as well.

thanks

Jim Fuller

14 Comments:

Anonymous Mark C said...

JIM- SO sorry to see you go. Good luck in your new aasignment.
And..THANKS!!!!!!

8:38 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, THANK YOU for all your quality reporting.. it was always fair, accurate and timely. Wish you best of luck.

10:05 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to see you go Jim. As a Midwesterner, I always start my day checking your blog for Yale updates.Your coverage has always been pertinent, fair and objective. All the best to you.
Bob Walsh from Chicago

7:45 AM 
Anonymous John Walsh said...

Thanks for all your great work over the last few years keeping us informed about Yale football. It was and is very much appreciated.

Good luck in your new position.

11:51 AM 
Anonymous Truly Blue '59 said...

Thank you, Jim, You were great in digging out interesting and specific information behind the coachly generalities. I hope Chris Hunn has your initiative and is able to obtain your access. And, yes, you're forgiven for being fair and objective.
Best Wishes.

1:00 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your excellent work, Jim. Good luck in your new position.

2:17 PM 
Anonymous Steve Moyer said...

Jim, you did a great job. I followed the blog with great interest 2-3 times a week for the last two years. Always well done, so thanks, especially for a fan who's 3000 miles away.

4:11 PM 
Anonymous Bill Abelson said...

Jim,

Very best wishes, and thanks for your insightful and detailed reporting on Yale football... a world that the "world at large" largely ignores, but which obviously still ignites alot of passion for some of us.

I regret that you had to deal with unfounded accusations on occasion in the course of this blog. Thanks for hanging in there.

8:19 PM 
Anonymous bob emple said...

Jim--you did a wonderful job. Good luck to your successor -- and to you in your new beat. Bob Semple

9:59 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jim, as a player these past four years I can speak on behalf of us all when I say you ran a great blog here. Best of luck.

Batta

9:34 PM 
Anonymous bob semple said...

Best wishes in your new job. And thanks for the insightful ( and indispensable)reporting over the last few years. Bob Semple, NY Times

6:01 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

I wish you the best in your new assignment.

I have to say that I am glad to see you go. I thought your reporting was extremely poor.
I think many players and coaches have been hurt by your lack of professionalism and inacurate reporting. You would be the last person I would hire as a sports reporter or football analyst. I'm actually surprised you still have your job.

Please think before you set out to hurt a player or coach that is giving their best effort to perform. Yes, you do hurt people with your slanted comments. I know many of them.

This is just my opinion and feel free not to post it on this blog or accept the true in what I am saying.

I feel sorry for UCONN football........

12:09 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last reader comment was so lame I feel sorry for whoever took the time to post it. Good luck finding another site to visit, big guy.

5:20 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, Thank you for your hard work and good luck on your new assignment.

12:48 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home