Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kelly removes his name from consideration

Georgetown coach Kevin Kelly, one of the top candidates for the vacant Yale football job, released a statement through Georgetown declaring that he is withdrawing his name from consideration.

"I'm flattered to have been considered for the position, but have decided to withdraw my name from consideration and will remain at Georgetown. We are coming off of our best season since I've been here and with a tremendous group of young men returning, I look forward to continuing to build this program and compete for a Patriot League Championship in 2012. My family and I enjoy being a part of the Georgetown community and we love living in Washington, D.C. We really want to finish what we've started here at
Georgetown."

I'm expecting to hear some news in the next hour or so and there is still a chance the press conference to announce the 34th coach in Yale football history could be held tomorrow.

A source indicated to me of a candidate close to being offered the job but I was unable to get a second source to confirm that information, although I think that could be changing soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a face-saving move, allowing him to remove his name from consideration after being told he didn't make the cut. The YDN seems to be hinting that Reno will be the choice, as early as tonight.

7:20 PM 
Anonymous Bill Abelson said...

Both Reno and Cecchini have a history of success, both are in their mid-30's, which I like. Youth, energy, winners. I'm going to like the choice, whichever it is.

7:40 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home