Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Witt headed to Yale

A year ago Patrick Witt seemed to be in line to become the next starting quarterback to Nebraska. However, if the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder from Wylie, Texas earns the starting QB position, it will be for Yale.

Witt, the No. 2 quarterback at Nebraska in 2008 as a redshirt freshman, was accepted at Yale on Friday and is planning to enroll at Yale in June.

The impact of transfers can be hard to predict but something tells me that a player in contention to be the starting at Nebraska could become a serious impact performer in the Ivy League.

"It's a combination of things, as I get older I understand the importance of education," Witt said. "Yale is a great fit for me. I got to meet the coaches, I got to know them and know there is a lot of excitement surrounding the program right now with Coach Williams being there and a whole new staff. I felt very comfortable with them and I knew that was the caliber of education that I wanted to receive. I knew if there was a chance to go there as far as the application process, I knew that was a place I wanted to be."

Witt attended the 2007 Yale/Harvard game at the Yale Bowl with his brother, a student at Harvard. He spent a couple of hours on Yale's campus in the second week of March and the only thing that stood between him and a future behind center for the Bulldogs was getting accepted at Yale.

"I spoke to the dean of admissions there for about an hour on the phone who gave me the good news," Witt said. "We discussed some points that he wanted me to realize going to a place like Yale, it is going to be tremendous academic challenge and a learning curve initially. I reassured him that was a challenge I am looking forward to and as a competitor on the football field, I think I can apply that same (approach) to the classroom. I am very excited to get up there, I can't wait to start. I'm completing classes in a couple weeks, going home for a couple weeks and I can't wait to get up to New Haven, meeting all the guys on the team and start establishing myself there."

Anybody looking for more info, here is his Nebraska bio and here's a link to some video during his high school days.

Yale has received some transfers from Division I-A or Bowl Championship Subdivision (if you prefer) teams before (Rashad Bartholomew and Than Merrill come to mind) and for a Yale team appearing to be lacking in dynamic offensive players, Witt has a chance to make a major impact. Of course he will still have to make it happen on the football field. I'm hoping to hear about another transfer from a BCS school soon.

MCLEOD A BILL?
I spoke Yale's all-time leading rusher Mike McLeod for a few seconds earlier this evenign and he saud he hopes to finalize the details for him to be invited to training camp for the Buffalo Bills. McLeod said his agent has been in contact with Buffalo officials and he hopes a deal will be done in the next day or two.

There will be more on both stories in Wednesday's edition of the Register.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home