Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hollander to Hula Bowl

This just in from Yale ... nice honor and well deserved for Brandt. Representatives were at the Yale-Harvard game from the Hula Bowl.

Brandt Hollander Yale's two-time first-team All-Ivy nose guard, has been selected to play in college football's premier all-star contest, the 2008 Hula Bowl. Hollander joins the best seniors in the country for the Jan. 12 all-star game at Honolulu 's Aloha Stadium.
Hollander, the 2007 captain, is the first Bulldog to be invited to the Hula Bowl and the first Yale player to be headed for one of the major all-star games since tight end Nate Lawrie played in the 2003 Blue-Gray Classic.
"This is a tremendous opportunity. All you can ask for is the opportunity to compete against the best and see how you stack up," said Hollander.
Hollander, who started in 33 of the 39 games he played at Yale, finished his career with 117 tackles and 11.5 sacks despite playing the role of the player who ties up offensive linemen. He was first-team all-league in 2006 and 2007 as the guy breaking through double-teams while freeing teammates to make plays.
Yale's strongest player, Hollander is a political science major with a 3.42 GPA. He was first-team All-New England in 2006 while helping his squad share the Ivy League title. He led the Bulldogs to a 9-1 season this fall while his last two squads compiled a 17-3 overall mark.
"I remember coming to Yale the year after Nate Lawrie graduated, and I remember him playing in an all-star game. I also recall hoping I'd be able to follow in his footsteps. I'm excited to carry on the tradition of Yale football excellence."
The 100 Hula Bowl invitees convene in Honolulu on Jan. 6 to prepare for the 6 p.m. (E.S.T) game on the 12th. The head coach of the East team is Illinois ' Ron Zook.
The Hula Bowl helped launch careers for guys like Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, Tony Dorsett, Larry Csonka and Dick Butkus.The last time any Bulldogs played at Honolulu's Aloha Stadium was a 1987 game between Yale and the University of Hawaii .
"I've never been to Hawaii and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's like. My dad has always wanted to go and my parents are booking tickets to come with me so my whole family is excited about the experience," said the Bulldog captain. "I'd been talking with my friend about booking some kind of vacation for winter break, but I think this is about the best thing I could be doing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home