Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cozza reflects on special weekend


My initial plan was to speak to former Yale football coach Carm Cozza at last Tuesday's Yale press gathering at Mory's about his upcoming induction into the Cradle of Coaches at Miami (Ohio) where Cozza both played and coached.

He was not in attendance last week but was there when I got there today so I was able to talk to him about the experiences when he was honored along with former LSU coach Paul Dietzel and the late Weeb Ewbank, who coached the New York Jets to victory in Super Bowl III.

"It was special. The statues were just amazing. They caught me kneeling down. I was kidding, I prayed a lot and I said that is why I was in the kneeling position. Paul's was standing up and so was Weeb's. They had a dinner there Friday night, a lot of my Miami friends were there because I coached there seven years. It was also the 60th anniversary of the (Miami team which beat Arizona State in the Salad Bowl).

"It really caught me. I thought back to my childhood. I would have given anything if my parents could have been there. I have to tell you, it took me until I got home for me to realize just how nice that was. When I think I was included with those people, Red Blaik, Paul Brown, Weeb Ewbank, Ara Parseghian, Bo Schembechler, John Pont, Paul Dietzel, to be a part of that was really special."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home